Should I Get Eyelid Surgery?
Patients elect to have eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty, for medical reasons, cosmetic reasons, or a combination of the two. Eyelid surgery ranks among the top five most common cosmetic surgeries and may involve the upper eyelid, lower eyelid, or both.
The eye surgeons at Kirk Eye Center have the experience and knowledge to deliver natural-looking results with eyelid surgery. Our surgeons have a thorough understanding of how the eye works and know how to optimize and protect your vision when performing this surgery.
Reasons To Have Eyelid Surgery
Choosing to have surgery is always a highly personal decision. Whether your vision is suffering or you are fed up with looking tired and aged, eyelid surgery has the potential to improve your quality of life.
Medical Reasons for Eyelid Surgery
Upper eyelid drooping, or ptosis, may necessitate eyelid surgery for medical reasons. The condition can affect one or both eyes. In some cases, you may be born with ptosis, which is known as congenital ptosis. In other cases, aging may cause the upper eyelid to fall. Eye surgeries, eye injuries, or stroke are other causes of ptosis, which can result in:
- Vision impairment – When a droopy upper eyelid interferes with your vision, eyelid surgery is needed to lift the eyelid back into a position that allows you full range of vision.
- Overuse of Forehead Muscles – When sagging eyelids interfere with your vision, you likely attempt to use your forehead muscles to lift skin up and out of the way. However, this is not a comfortable or long-term solution, as overuse can cause muscle strain.
- Skin Irritation – When skin folds are present due to drooping and sagging, you may experience discomfort from the folds rubbing against each other and causing skin irritation.
While blepharoplasty for cosmetic reasons is not covered by your health insurance, your insurance provider may cover part of the procedure if it is determined to be medically necessary.
Cosmetic Reasons for Eyelid Surgery
We use our eyes so frequently that it’s no surprise that this is where some of the first signs of aging appear. Between your repetitive facial expressions and the natural aging process, your eyes can undergo some dramatic—and often unwanted--changes. You may be self-conscious about these changes to your appearance, which can include:
- Puffiness under your eyes due to fat deposits
- Excess skin in the eyelid areas
- Wrinkles in the lower eyelid area
- Under-eye bags
- A tired or fatigued appearance
Eyelid surgery can minimize these signs of aging, giving you a more youthful and alert look. In some cases, non-surgical procedures can complement your eyelid surgery results and achieve a comprehensive rejuvenation of your eye area. For example, crow’s feet and other wrinkles can be relaxed with BOTOX® Cosmetic.
Blepharoplasty Candidacy Factors
Meeting with one of our surgeons for a consultation is the best way to determine if you are a candidate for eyelid surgery. In this consultation, our surgeon will examine your eyes, gather information about your medical history and any previous ocular treatments, and learn about your goals for the procedure. In general, an ideal eyelid surgery candidate meets the following criteria:
- In good overall health
- No unresolved ocular conditions
- No medical conditions that impede the body’s healing process
- Realistic expectations
Call Us For An Eyelid Surgery Consultation In Gurnee Or River Forest
If you are experiencing vision impairment due to drooping eyelids or are dissatisfied with how aging is affecting the appearance of your eyes, it’s time to meet with one of our caring and skilled eye surgeons. Call to schedule your consultation and experience a truly patient-centric experience. We serve patients in the greater Chicago area, including Gurnee and River Forest.