Scleral Contact Lenses
A scleral contact lens is a specialty hard contact lens. They are Rigid Gas Permeable (RGP) contact lenses that are larger in diameter. Their large diameter allows them to vault over the cornea of the eye providing a more comfortable fit for some patients. Patients with some eye disorders can find them particularly comfortable. Any patient with an irregular corneal surface can also enjoy scleral lenses. Each custom scleral contact lens patient is provided a custom fit at our clinic to deliver exceptional comfort.
The on-site optical center at Kirk Eye Center boasts the latest optical and vision technology where we are pleased to offer patients a fantastic selection of budget-friendly frames and several types of common and specialty contacts.
Benefits of Custom Scleral Contact Lenses
- Due to the vaulting of the lens over the cornea, there is space between the back of the lens and the front of the cornea to hold the saline solution to keep the eye moist. This promotes a healing environment for the eye.
- RGP lenses, including scleral contact lenses, are made from a durable material that will last significantly longer than regular contact lenses.
- The larger diameter of the lens creates a firm and stable area reducing the lens from moving around. This maintains a consistent steady vision for the wearer.
- A wider lens supports contact over a broader area distributing the weight for a more comfortable fit.
- Lenses are composed of highly breathable gas-permeable material allowing much-needed oxygen to reach the eye.
- The lens protects the wearer from debris and dust. This is also an ideal solution for those that suffer from allergies.
- The wider lens provides increased peripheral vision and reduces glare and sensitivity to light.
- Scleral lenses often work when other lenses fail for the patient. Due to their size and custom fit, they provide a comfortable option with a healing environment for some eye conditions.
- Custom scleral contact lenses typically last 2-5 years or longer.
"Great overall experience with my Lasik procedure for both my eyes. Dr. Kirk & the staff were fantastic throughout the entire process. I'm so pumped that I don't have to wear contacts or glasses ever again!"- B.M. / Google / Jun 19, 2020
"I came here for LASIK not long ago and I had an incredible experience! All of the staff were wonderful, the consultation process was thorough and tailored to my individual situation, and it was easy to get in contact with someone if I had questions. The process of getting LASIK at the surgery center was also great, all of the staff I interacted with were awesome and I felt like I was in good hands the whole time. I left with all of my questions answered, and I felt fully prepared to take care of myself post-procedure. I was really appreciative that Dr. Kirk called me later on in the evening to check in and make sure that the acute post-op period went smoothly, and I know who to call if I ever do need anything from them in the coming months. Overall, I would definitely recommend Kirk Eye Center and the surgery center, and I had a very positive experience!"- B.L. / Google / Dec 23, 2022
"Dr Kirk and his staff did a wonderful job from the beginning of my care through the surgical procedures. They are now helping me with my post op and my results are terrific. I am so very pleased, please consider visiting with them for your vision needs."- J.O. / Google / Dec 20, 2022
"I've had both eyes done one in May 2022 and the second one in September 202 2December 2022 my followup. Superb Work, Doctors very Professional and very Professionally Skilled from the Fathers, Uncles and Sons. The Clean Atmosphere floors not dirty, tables were not dusty or dirty. The Reception Desk personnel were very Caring, Warm and Helpful. The Admitting Nurses whether Female or Male was exceptionally Courteous, Kind and Well Trained. Surgical Area Clean, Staff was Exceptionally Caring, Attenative and Warm Hospitable. I Recommend to anyone that if you're fearful, scared out of your wits I can assure you get the Best Surgery and Treatment any one can dream of from Kirk Eye Center in River Forest, Ill."- C.W. / Google / Dec 19, 2022
"Very good procedure and quick results. Į would highly recomend Dr. Tyler Kirk for eye procedures. Surgical center was very organized."- J.L. / Google / Dec 17, 2022
Who is a Good Candidate for Scleral Contacts?
- Keratoconus patients can experience clear vision and a comfortable fit due to the vaulting over the cornea that is created with custom scleral contact lenses.
- People with astigmatism or irregular astigmatism can benefit greatly from wearing scleral lenses. Wearing the lenses can delay or eliminate the need for corneal transplant surgery.
- Those with Dry Eye Syndrome will find that the ability to hold liquid between the back of the lens and the front of the cornea of notable benefit.
- Chemical or burn injury patients will find comfort in a completely custom fit for irregular ocular surfaces.
- After a corneal transplant, patients can continue to see improvement of visual acuity while wearing scleral contact lenses. Scleral contact lenses are ideal after a corneal transplant as the lens won’t touch the surface of the cornea, but rather, will vault over it.
- Following Lasik surgery or refractive surgery, some patients can use lenses to improve their vision.
- Anyone with hard to fit eyes or irregular corneas will appreciate that lenses can be custom fit for irregularities and can help with vision correction.
Scleral contact lenses are a custom fit for each patient. This may require a higher upfront cost and more visits to the office to get the fit right. The longevity of the lenses and the comfortable fit will outweigh the cost for most patients as they will not need replacement as often, unless the eye condition changes.
Dependable, clear vision
Sharp vision is only one visit away. Vision issues, like nearsightedness, farsightedness, and age-related vision loss, can lead to a lot of frustration, but thankfully, each of them is very treatable. At Kirk Eye Center, our optical specialists are ready to help you obtain your best vision. We invite you to make an appointment to visit our main facility and on-site optical center in River Forest, IL.